Monday, October 17, 2011

strength for contentment


The intentional act of remembering His goodness brings heavenly perspective to my life. His benefits are all around me. May I always be a blessing-counter.

But contentment isn't something that I must pull out my own strength. Good thing, too, 'cause I just don't have any strength without Jesus. In fact, to rely on myself for joy isn't just futile, its sinful. For, "whatsoever is not of faith is sin."

All that to say, there is strength for contentment! We all love Philippians 4:13, "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." But let's look close.....it's in the context of contentment. 


Paul says -

"Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content. I know both how to be abased and I know how to abound: every where and in all things I am instructed both to be full and to suffer need."

Ok, that's a big statement. So how did he do it? How was he contented in EVERY situation?
Next verse -

"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me."

There it is. Strength for contentment.

At the risk of sounding like a self-proclaimed martyr, let me share from the heart. Due to our occupation, we live a life on the road. And though I don't care to admit it, sometimes this gypsy life gets to me. I never thought I needed "roots." I never thought traveling all the time would ever both me. But sometimes it just does. I didn't know my own weakness. And if I am not careful, the desire for a home of my own can become an idol of my heart. Comparison kills contentment. Why shouldn't I always be content with taking my shoes off for a while and resting in a borrowed home? Even the son of God had a borrowed tomb. 





But there is hope for me. There is joy for me in Christ. There is STRENGTH for contentment. Every day its there. Every day Jesus holds it out to me. Will I take it?

Beautiful strength, heavenly strength. Christ's own resurrection strength...for my contentment.

Hallelujah.


Blessing Counting:


this beautiful home to stay in


as always, thankful for this lil' guy


for laughter & hugs


the Word of God
and today, I'm especially thankful for Psalm 107


for the love of my life


















No comments:

Post a Comment